Sunday 5 May 2013

Top tunnel panel


I started the day by cutting out a handbrake surround from 1.2mm aluminium sheet – the cut out size was checked with a template.  The width was set by the space there would be on top of the tunnel between the aluminium trim sections.  The surround was cut with the angle grinder, hole saw and hand file.  I then drilled 8no 6mm holes in for fixing to the tunnel top.

Paper template

1.2mm aluminium

In the afternoon when I got back from Stoneleigh I cut out the top tunnel section.  I cut an approximately 80mm square hole for the electrics to pass through which I then edge trimmed to protect the cables.  Next I cut a 45mm x 15mm slot for the gearshift and a 200mm x 60mm slot for the handbrake.

Hole for dash electrics

Slot cut for gear lever

Cut out for handbrake.  Surround in position.


I also drilled and fixed the indicator toggle switch and switch guards just behind the gearshift.


Final job for the day was to carbon wrap the handbrake surround.  This was done with 3m Di-Noc carbon wrap which I bought on eBay.  I used a hairdryer to heat and stretch the wrap but I still had to cut slits in it as the internal curve was too much to stretch it.  These slits cant be seen from the top.  The plan is to fix the surround to the tunnel top with stainless dome hex bolts.  Also I plan to carbon wrap the aluminium tunnel trim so it all looks the same.



No comments:

Post a Comment