Monday 27 May 2013

Front indicators + tidying electrics + Air intake

Today I fitted the front indicators.  It is an IVA requirement that these are within 400mm of the edge of the widest part of the car so I needed to make some extension pieces.  To do this I cut lengths of copper tube at 120mm and cleaned the inside ends with wire wool.  I then coated in flux and used the vice to press an M8 nuts into each end of each tube.  I then soldered these nuts in position.  The copper was then wrapped in carbon vinyl.

I then drilled an M5 hole through two M8 bolts so I could pass the wired for the indicators through the middle.  I drilled out the nosecone with an 8.5mm hole and bolted the indicators in position.  With the extension pieces, the outside of the indicator is about 370mm from the edge of the car so will be ok for the IVA.

15mm copper pipe and M8 nyloc nuts

Nuts pressed and soldered into end of copper pipe

Carbon vinyl wrapped

Indicator in position

M8 bolt drilled out for cables to pass through

Next job was to sort the air intake.  I bought a carbon look NACA air intake which has a 75mm outlet, the same size as the intake on my aluminium airbox.  I cut a template from cardboard and marked the hole I needed to cut in the bonnet.  This will be off centre so it is inline with the intake on the airbox.

I cut out the hole and then fixed the NACA duct with sikaflex.




NACA duct installed and connected to airbox

No comments:

Post a Comment