Tuesday 7 May 2013

Handbrake gaiter, diff breather, handbrake cable


 Started the evening by fixing the handbrake gaiter and surround to the top tunnel section.  I marked and drilled the 8 holes around the cut out and lined the underside of the hole with double sided tape.  This was to hold the leather in position when I removed it from the car for fixing.  I drilled some lengths of aluminium which were used to clamp the leather against the tunnel top, the fixing I used were M6 stainless hex dome type.

Holes marked and drilled

Double sided tape underneath

After I finished I realized that two of these bolts.nuts clashed with the handbrake bracket on the chassis.  I used a 15mm hole saw to cut out a hole where the nut was clashing so the nut can now rest on the hole and the tunnel top can sit flat.

Bracket marked where bolts clash

15mm holes drilled

View from underneath - nut/bolt sitting in hole

I made a breather from the diff from a small length of copper pipe and a 100mm length of fuel hose.  The copper was filed down slightly so it could be pressed into the diff breather hole.  I also cut a couple of pieces of fuel hose and cable tied to the handbrake cable where it was resting on the diff.




Final job was to adjust the offside handbrake mechanism on the rear caliper where it was still clashing with the wheel.  Using a pair of pliers I bend the handbrake arm down by 3mm and also filed 2mm off the corner of the handbrake cable end.  This means there is about 4mm of clearance to the wheel now so shouldn’t be a problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment