Wednesday 1 May 2013

Handbrake gaiter, cooling hoses


Tonight I had a go at making a handbrake gaiter from the remaining leather from the trousers I cut up to make the steering wheel centre.  I had a look at the general shape of a gaiter, cut a paper template, transferred the rough shape to the leather and sewed it together.  I positioned the existing leg seam on the top for decoration and used a sewing machine to sew it inside out before turning it round.  The gaiter fits tightly over the handbrake and seems to function ok.  I made a cardboard template of the slot I plan to cut in the top of the tunnel – the slot measured 200 x 60mm with rounded corners.  I could edge trim this and glue the gaiter to the underside of the tunnel.  Or I could cut a surround from aluminium and bolt it to the top of the tunnel.  Not sure what I will do yet.

Next job was to finish the hoses.  I jubilee clipped the bottom hose so the system is now ready for flushing and filling with coolant, which will be a job for the weekend.


Seam stuck with double sided tape before sewing

Gaiter sewn inside out

Turned right way round


Original leg seam of trousers for decoration


Cardboard template of slot in top of tunnel



Hoses finished









No comments:

Post a Comment