Sunday 7 April 2013

Propshaft adapter and speed sensor


I started by bolting the propshaft to the sprocket adapter only to realize that there was a lot of movement on the splined shaft.  I undid the 4no bolts, removed the sprocket cover and then removed the sprocket adapter.  It appears that when I tightened it up some months ago, the washer had slipped and was trapped against the end of the splined shaft.  This meant when it was tightened the nut was trapping against the washer, not the sprocket adapter, meaning there was movement.  I retightened it with more Loctite and that seemed to sort it out.

I again tightened the propshaft to the sprocket adapter with 4no M8 x 30mm 12.9 socket cap bolts.  These were longer than needed for the speed sensor.

The speed sensor on the GSXR is a magnet that detected when the rotor passed infront of it, 4 times per revolution.  I positioned the speed sensor under the sprocket adapter and made an aluminium bracket to hold it in position.  I fixed this using an M6 hole in the engine block that wasn’t needed anymore.  The speed sensor is positioned so it is 1mm away from the bolts so one revolution should be 4 detections, the same as it was on the bike.

I also fitted the other rear wheel only to find that one of the handbrake springs was rubbing.  I removed the spring and crushed it in the vice to reduce its height slightly.  Refitting was hard work but once in position there is about 3mm of clearance to the wheel now.

Last job was to bolt the other end of the propshaft to the diff.  I only put 2 of the bolts in for now so I could test the reverse.  It works but it is noisy!!

M8 socket cap bolts installed with loctite

Sprocket cover back in position

Bolts left long intentionally

Aluminium bracket for speed sensor

Speed sensor mounted to spare M6 hole in engine block

Bolts come within 1mm of speed sensor, 4 bolts per revolution






No comments:

Post a Comment