Saturday 20 April 2013

Gear indicator, side panels, throttle


Started the day by fixing the brackets for the gear indicator to the back of the dash.  I did this in the same way as I mounted the clocks, by fixing two aluminium angle pieces using sikaflex.  Surfaces were keyed to ensure good adhesion.

Next job was the side panels.  I measured the distance from the bend in the side panels to the headlight bracket as this would be the reference point for my cutting template.   The template was then laid on the panel and the shapes drawn out onto the masking tape.  I used the dremel with a 3mm drill bit and stitch drilled all the shapes, then used the cutting tool to join up the drill holes and finally the sanding tool to neaten all the edges.   It turns out I measured slightly wrong so I needed to extend all of the near side holes by 5mm which was frustrating but you cant really see the difference.

I then started on the throttle.  First job was to install a pedal stop behind the pedal to restrict movement.  I have used an M8 x 80mm bolt for this fixed through the bulkhead, held in position by two nyloc nuts.  This can be adjusted if needed.

I then put the bike throttle cable back on the throttle body and measured the extension required to go from throttle closed to full throttle.  This was approximately 20mm.   next I identified the position on the throttle pedal that moved about 20mm when the pedal was pressed.   The pedal was then drilled to allow the clevis to be fixed.

I made a pedal stop for the front from a strip of aluminium which was bent to shape, drilled and fixed by the bolt that holds the pedal in position.  I put some edge trim at the top to tidy it up.




Double checking the template!!

Marked out on masking tape

Stitch drilled

Cut out with dremel

Sanded smooth with dremel sanding attachment


Rear pedal stop installed

Pivot point marked and drilled on throttle pedal

Front pedal stop - bent aluminium and edge trim


When the bike was operational, the throttle operated by twisting the right handlebar had a throttle cable but also a decelerator cable.  This pulled the throttle closed as opposed to relying on the spring to close it.  I connected up the decelerator cable and attached it to a couple of springs.  This test shows that tension on the decelerator gave a better throttle feel with more resistance but also closed quicker when the pedal was released.  I will have to find a neater way to install a system similar to this test.






No comments:

Post a Comment