Monday 5 November 2012

Side panel cutting template


Spend an hour tidying up the garage after the weekends work.  Also removed the sump – looking at ordering a baffle this week.

Then made a start on the side panels.  I need to cut holes in each side panel for the top and bottom wishbones, suspension push rod, steering rack and headlight bracket.  I started by making a practice template out of cardboard – measuring the centres of everything from the end of the chassis as a reference point.

Once all points were market I used a spray can lid as a circle template and marked it out and cut out the shapes with a Stanley knife.  Holes close together were cut to elongated circle shapes.  Cardboard template was cut in pieces, set in position and taped together.

I can see that the template fits fine apart from one of the top wishbone brackets will stick out slightly so this hole needs to be bigger.  Also will need to raise a couple of the holes to allow for movement when the suspension takes the weight of the car.  The wishbones should be central to the holes when the car is sat on its wheels.

I will have a go at making a proper template from hardboard or thin ply and checking for alignment by removing the wishbones to fit it.




My engine stand arrived as well so I got the engine mounted on that and removed the sump.







No comments:

Post a Comment