Sunday 28 October 2012

Sprocket cover


As I am still waiting for driveshafts and various bolts, I cant really get on with the simple jobs I should be doing first.

Today I spent time painting the propshaft, trackrod extensions and trackrod ends.  I just hammerite which seemed to take well to the rusty propshaft but not so well on the bare metal of the trackrod ends.  I may have to redo these in the future.

I also sorted out the sprocket cover issue!!  I managed to get a K6 sprocket cover off eBay for £21 which has the external clutch mechanism (like the K9) but it has the same fixings as the K1.

I drilled a pilot hole in the sprocket cover, in the centre of the sprocket adapter.  Then using the pilar drill and an 86mm hole saw I cut out the hole for the propshaft.  The sprocket adapter is about 88mm so I had a bit of metal to file away with a half round file which took a while but seems to have worked ok.

I test fit the adapter and cover and there is approximately 1mm of clearance on the right side – although close it shouldn’t be an issue as there should be no movement between the two pieces.

KL9 sprocket cover - note different clutch mechanism

Hole cut through, sprocket adapter can be seen.

Painting propshaft




No comments:

Post a Comment