Sunday 13 January 2013

GSXR clock mounting bracket


Today I made a bracket to hold the GSXR clocks in place.  On the bike, the clocks fitted simply by pressing into a couple of rubber grommets.  This meant I needed to make a bracket that would fit behind the clocks but can be fixed to the back of the dash.  The clocks would need to fit through a hole in the dash but protrude from the edge trim no more than 3mm as the edges would fail the IVA radius check.

To start I made a template from cardboard to get the shape roughly correct.  Once I was happy with this I transferred the shape to a piece of aluminium and again cut out the shape of the clocks.  This was so I could test fit everything including the edge trim which I couldn’t do with cardboard as it would lose its shape.  I needed to file a fair bit away and keep checking the edge trim and clocks fitted together ok.

I then cut out a piece of aluminium for the back and drilled holes for the 2 rubber gommets and a fixing bolt.  I then rived aluminium angle to the bracket.

The plan is to fix some aluminium angle to the rear of the carbon dash using an adhesive and then fixing the clock bracket to this angle.  This means no fixings will be visible from the front.

Stitch drilling clock template



Bracket drawn out ready to cut from aluminium



Rubber grommets installed

I then cut some aluminium angle and riveted them to the bracket.  The plan is to have additional angle brackets glued to the back of the dash and then









No comments:

Post a Comment