Sunday 23 June 2013

Cycle wings + rear brakes

Started the day with a couple of small jobs, first being fixing a piece of aluminium angle behind the top seatbelt mounts which will support the boot panel when I get round to making that.



Next I needed to re-bleed the rear brakes as I changed the hoses for shorter ones.  As the caliper needs to be turned upside down to bleed it I needed to make a packer for the piston to press against as I couldn't mount them on the brake disc as I did before.  The thickness of the disc and two pads is 37mm so I cut a block of timber and some aluminium to make it up to 37mm which I then wedged in the caliper.  The brakes could then be bled as before.

Before reassembling I changed the rubber gaiters on the caliper slider bolts.  All four of these gaiters had perished in the 6 months they had been on the car.  Rally Design sent me some new ones after I complained about them.

Next I fitted the steering lock restrictors I bought to replace the jubilee clips I installed the other week.  This created a problem in that the gaiters don't slide over the adjusters causing them to trap before full lock, therefore restricting the steering. Not sure how to resolve this yet.



Final job for the weekend was the front cycle wings.  I fitted the recently powder coated brackets and bolted in position and used the dremel to rough up the top so the adhesive would bond.  I did the same to the underside of the arch.  I used Sikaflex to stick the arches on.  Once the Sikaflex has cured I will see how strong the bond is with a view to fibreglassing over the brackets under the arches if necessary.

Cycle wings were positioned so that the aero part was flat on top.  Also when viewed from the top the cycle wings cover the entire width of the tyre.  A final check with the glass template I made the other week showed they extend beyond 30 degrees at the front, 50 degrees at the rear and finish below 150mm above wheel centre at the rear.









No comments:

Post a Comment