Friday 14 December 2012

Fitting the sprocket adapter, propshaft and engine


The bolts I ordered for the engine cradle arrived after a week of waiting but I had ordered the wrong ones.  I had ordered extra fine 1.0mm pitch thread when I need fine 1.25mm pitch thread.  Turns out I cant use a vernier gauge properly!!  I found a small fastenings supplier in Leicester so headed over to pick up 2no. M10 x 80mm x 1.25 pitch socket cap bolts.

I fixed the cradle to the engine with these new bolts and the long M10 x 250mm bolts for the lower mounts.  I needed to grind a chamfer on this bolt and hammer it through as the cradle didn’t quite line up.

To get the engine in I needed an engine crane, which I didn’t have and didn’t want to pay for so I made “hoist” by fixing a ladder to the garage door rails and supporting the engine with rope.  This was a three man operation, two to lift and one to support with the rope.  Once high enough the weight could easily be supported and the engine lowered in a very controlled manner, down on to the chassis.  The second lower mount was again hammered into position and the cradle secured with M12 bolts.

Before fitting the engine I fitted the propshaft.  I cut a couple of spacers from the 25 x 50mm aluminium block I had and drilled some M12.5 holes.  The propshaft bracket was then bolted in position.

Also before I put the engine in, I fitted the propshaft adapter.  I used a decent amount of blue Loctite and tightened the nut to 115nm which took a bit of effort!  This is a 2man operation, one tightening and one holding the prop adapter in the stilsons.

Also I applied adhesive grip tape to the brake and clutch pedals.  This was a free sample from a skateboard company on eBay.





Rope + copper pipe "pulley"

Ladder to support engine.  It took my weight so will be fine for the engine!

Engine in!

Skateboard grip tape on the brake and clutch pedals




No comments:

Post a Comment